Elderflower Angel cake with Rose infused white ganache cream


If it had not escaped your notice The Great British Bake Off is back!!! How exciting i love this show and enjoy meeting each person and going on their baking journey with them, even if it is through t.v. The highs of star baker the lows of using salt instead of sugar or being that person that did not quite make it.  I marvel each and every week at how clever the ideas and how creative these people are and i one day aspire to be like them.


Being a blogger i get to virtually meet lots of ladies with loads of different skills and two of these ladies Jenny of mummy mishaps and Helen of the crazy kitchen who are just as fanatical as me about The Great British Bake Off has made their own version called Great Blogger Bake Off  where we get to bake one or all of the items if we are feeling brave and share the results with everyone else virtually of course.  
SO with that in mind this week TGBBO had Victoria sponge, Angel cake and a chocolate show stopper. I decided to make an angel cake which i have never made before and i had a pan that was perfect that i had not used before as i bought it when i saw it on sale and was waiting for the perfect time to use it.  
This recipe is inspired from my garden and as i say good bye to summer im busy rushing round picking things and munching on them if you see the post below this one.  I have the most wonderful fragrant and edible roses in my garden and as a little nod to them as a British favorite flower i am using them to roses infused white chocolate ganache to decorate the delicate light sponge which i used an equally light and delicate flavour of  Elderflower. you can find a elderflower cordial recipe here

INGREDIENTS
125g plain flour
300g caster sugar
10 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 salt

Oven temp 180 cook time 45 mins cooling time 1 hour

Sieve the flour and 100g of sugar and set to one side while the egg whites are whisked
Start whisking the eggs till there is a light foam then add the salt and tartar and cordial till peaking then add the sugar spoon by spoon till it is all incorporated.  
Fold 1/3 of the flour and sugar in then add the rest and fold again carefully 
Add to the tin and cook for 45 min.

As i said above i also made a white chocolate ganache infused with roses but you can use rosewater to flavour


mummy mishaps

22 comments:

  1. Helen this looks stunning! the attention to detail is superb, the icing and the rose petals and i bet it was so light and fragrant to taste. wow! you do make great looking cakes
    thank you so much for linking up :) next week is all about bread x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was very fragrant and i think its a more grown up cake as roses are fragrant and not for everyone. Im thinking i never made muffins before so i may head that way.

      Delete
  2. oh wow helen, that;s absolutely gorgeous!
    Thanks for joining in with #GreatBloggersBakeOff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh check out your fancy cake! That is beautiful - great piping. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I think my style is rambly and unrefined, but then I think that's what I'm like and I want it to reflect my personality. Your comment had given me a real boost. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaww your welcome you did make me chuckle thank you for your lovely comment

      Delete
  4. WOW, yum. I was so tempted to make a rose angel food cake, as it's one of my very favourite flavours :-) And another one of my favourite flavours is... elderflower! So this pretty much sounds like heaven to me. And the decoration looks divine. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe you sound right up my street thank you for your lovely comment

      Delete
  5. Looks bloody amazing! I'm definitely moving in with you - cute babies and cake - what more do I need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing! I really must have a go at an angel cake they all look so lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you took the ganche off it would be a guilt free cake as there is no fat :)

      Delete
  7. This looks incredible. I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! That looks AMAZING! I love the detail and how gorgeous your ganache looks- you have so much patience. I was going to ask for your tips on getting the cake out of the pan- but looking at your cooling time of one hour I guess I have a long way to go in the patience stakes!
    Your cake really does look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your very kind yes cooling is important and a lot of fingers crossed as you slip the knife in to release

      Delete
  9. This looks divine! I wish there was some way of tasting it all :)

    ReplyDelete