Felting birds


For Christmas i got the Kirsty Allsop Craft book and a clover tool and mat as i saw some really cute robins on Kirsty's show and really wanted to try the craft for myself.

I have never done felting before but it looked like fun and wanted a stab at it (lol felting joke). Felting is done by layering small pieces Marino wool tops and then stabbing through the fibres of the wool into the felt to bind the two elements together using your felting tool and matt.



After cutting out a bird shape i got to work building up my robin with my different colours of wool, after a while you will have your robin covered, but it will need a trim as the wool fibres will be spread out beyond the shape of the robin. As this was a simple shape and colour i just used one piece of felt and punched either side of the robin making sure that the colour bleed was the same each side so they matched when i was punching through the bird.  On my later birds the colours were a bit more difficult to match through so i made two identical bird but mirror images of themselves, then used the felting tool to punch through the two birds and fuse these together.
Next was to make two wings and a beak then punch these into the bird after i had covered these in wool too, the Kirsty's Robin was finished off with a feather in its tail and a bead for an eye which were the only 2 things sew into the bird.
I found the robin simple to do and wondered if i could do better and while working in the kitchen i was admiring a blue tit and chaffinch that was visiting our new bird feeder and thought they looked a little more interesting than a simple robin and got my tool and matt out and tried making them.  Here's my results i don't think they look to bad and i think i have the felting bug now.



 photo frogbutton.jpg


12 comments:

  1. I was more proud of the last two birds as these were my idea I think I will make some robins for next years Xmas tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are just beautiful! Love that you made more than just the robin. I really love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous - I've been drooling over Kirsty's book but wasn't sure whether I could actually do it or not - going to definately try now

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty. Wish I'd seen this before Christmas and made some for my nan.

    There are a couple of good craft link ups as well as @lovecraftblogs redtedart on a Wednesday and showoff showcase on a Sunday by mom to two posh I'll divas those are for kids. This would link well to white lily green's handmade Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your sweet comments they are surprisingly fun and easy to make just get the mat, tool,felt and wool a bit of creative flair and off you go

    Here comes the girls I would like to showcase these but couldn't work out how to submit the link could use some help

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue tit and chaffinch are gorgeous and well observed! Well done you! Would you recommend the Kirstie craft book?

    Coincidentally, I found some cute British bird pins this week which I just blogged about too, amongst other things :) Bag a crafty charity bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much actually i havent got past the robin page. I have been totally inspired by felting and am working on a new project. But i will enjoy revisiting her book later on when i want to try a new activity.

    I have to say i have a touch of the green eyes at your bird pins

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are nice aren't they? :) I also bought a bear and a duck for my boyf as he likes badges! I could have easily bought more LOL.

    Thanks so much for listing my blog on your side bar! I'm always looking for new readers :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah these are lovely :-) Just seen your comment on Love All New Blogs, and know exactly how you feel so thought I'd come over. I'm following you now and will follow you on Twitter too (though I have only just joined and not quite sure what's what with it yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much Kelly ;) x I will follow you to its nice having new and interesting blogs to add to my read list hehe yes I'm just like you working out twitter but after a few days I think I have the hang of it and I think it's rather good nice to read over a cuppa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are lovely, you have done a brilliant job.

    ReplyDelete