Petits fours



It the Great British/Blogger bake off again and this week we see three more challenges laid down signature trifle, technical floating islands and show stopper petits fours.  So i thought i would attempt the petits fours as i have never done these before.


 I know what they are which is a very small fancy cake and that there is a whole range that your imagination can think of to do and that you need to have a selection of them so i chose to do three types.

I do love a chocolate cake and a small dark chocolate would be my first cake to make, i prefer very good quality dark chocolate that is quite bitter then to cut this with sweet raspberries one of my favorite fruits, i also studded the inside of the chocolate sponge with freeze dried raspberries to give little bursts of intense fruit so it was not all deep dark chocolate.

I have to say there sure was a bit of waste creating these as i even got the tape measure out to make sure each square of chocolate was perfect in size and shape and i rejected anything less than perfect that said i had a disaster darling on my lemon meringue pies sob sob as i made the pastry part i remembered that my husband had told me to thin out my baking tins and that i had boot faired the perfect tin for this job so i had to use these kids silicon stars as they were shallow enough to do the job, so i am not happy i have star shape tarts which are not easy to control rather than lovely round ones.


I choose to do lemon meringue tarts as they are fresh and light compared to the very dark chocolate cakes to begin with i made the lemon curd by hand and the meringue is a piped Italian meringue which i had not made before but i will use this again in the future.  For my third i wanted to push myself a little more and make mousse that can stand up in its own with out the use of a glass, i did not have any ramekins in the house that had loose bottoms, so i got my crafty head on and made some acetate collars and crossed my fingers and everything in the hope that they would work.

i made a thin chocolate cake base and topped this with a dark chocolate ganache mousse and then topped this with a whipped white chocolate mousse and a physalis fruit.  i wanted to do a fruit gel layer between the fruit and mousse but Ella has colic and was kicking off and i had already spent 5 hours in the kitchen and running back and fourth from the shops so ran out of time.  Also the picture below of the mousse you can see is not quite ready as i was just to eager to take a picture of it i think it only had 1 hour setting where as the picture at the top of the post you can see is properly set. 

i enjoyed making petits fours but they is a lot of work involved for such a small cake but i think with practice this can be done faster and i actually like the end results and would probably do these again.

Once again this is linking up with the Great blogger bake off Helen and Jenny


mummy mishaps

23 comments:

  1. these are amazing - and you did a selction which I would have done had my macaroons worked!!! so clever and yours are more bite sized than mine too as it takes about 3 mouthfuls to scoff mine !!
    i like the star shaped pastries and the mousse ones are very pretty. you are very talented :)
    thank you for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wish yours were 5 bites big i would be a happy lady

      Delete
  2. Looking at that first picture, I would easily believe it was someone taking a photo of their dessert at a restaurant! So I think your hard work has paid off, they look beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i must work on my photography trying to do my best with very little about me

      Delete
  3. Wow, they look amazing! Well done for making all three different types, I was only brave enough to try one thing. They are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me ages to do but was glad to put my feet up at the end

      Delete
  4. WOW, those are amazing. They look like they are from a Michelin starred restaurant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blush now your telling porkys thank you so much

      Delete
  5. they all look amazing! I'm not sure I have the patience for all that fiddling...especially knowing that they would be eaten in just a few mouthfuls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. secret is to make a LOT yum then its worth it haha

      Delete
  6. These are fabulous and look perfect!! Raspberry and dark chocolate, and lemon meringue are two of my most favourite things x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine to that why i wanted to make them hubby also loves a lemon meringue x

      Delete
  7. Wow these look amazing! And I'm impressed with the tape measure...I went for the rustic look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the tape measure was to try and make them all uniform which is rather hard when you put the chocolate on top too but worth it to the try to get the size rightish there must be an easier way :)

      Delete
  8. oooh they look fab. I wish I'd made some collar type things for my towers....next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i did have a little ponder about the problem before i came up with the collar thank you for coming over

      Delete
  9. These look so brilliant! I do love lemon meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look absolutely stunning. I'd be more than happy to have these at a hotel for afternoon tea. Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love your trifle too i would love it all to myself

      Delete
  11. Helen these are gorgeous!!!!
    I never liked dark chocolate until I tried raspberry flavored dark chocolate. It is so yummy, and of course it is said that dark chocolate is good for us so we can have all we want right?!?! :)
    You are amazing doing this baking and looking after children! You're my hero!!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete