Our big plough

Look at this lovely little red tractor it really is a thing of beauty.

 So this quarter part of our meadow we have decided to plough up.  First off we had to do a nice short cut on the grass before Uncle Joe rolled up in this gorgeous machine with a plough attached to till the earth.  First the edges were cut then Joe went up and down ploughing and turning the earth nice and deep.
The plan is to let the frost and winter get into the soil and help all the soil bacteria as well as let the worms do what they do best to help make some good soil. Turning the soil will help with drainage, especially with such a good turn of earth as we are doing here.  Later on at the start of the new year we will have another tractor with a rotavator attached to chop up all the tilled soil before we plan out where we want our veg and fruit beds to be.  Talk about not doing things by halves we feel like mini farmers
Tilling the edges setting the space

Turning the earth 

Making the farrows
 Lovely little red tractor helping the get the earth ready 
 Lovely farrows getting ready for winter



 photo froghighlights.jpg



10 comments:

  1. Wow! I want to come and have a go at driving your tractor. Can't wait to see your veg patch in the spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that is a large plot of land. and yes, a tractor makes all the difference. my father in law loves his

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so much land! I can definitely see why you needed a tractor to do this :) It's a nice one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm having tractor envy (not that I actually have one, juts want one!) And my son would never leave you-top of his birthday list is a tractor :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! All aboard the little red tractor! Oh this looks such fun, I would totally be donning tweed and rocking up in stereotypical farmer attire.
    Such a lot of land you have now - looking forward to seeing what you do with it all!
    Thanks for joining in again Farmer Helen! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoo this is a nice big piece of land :) how exciting to be able to grow your own veg ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! How fabulous! What a great piece of land, can't wait to see what you do with it :) #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I so want a go!
    Intrigued as to what the next step is

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I bet all the kids want to come and play round yours with those tractors! I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What exciting plans! I think I would be rather overwhelmed to have to plan such a large space.

    ReplyDelete