Swiss Meringue

These are great big puffy meringue with a slightly chewy center.   Hubby loves meringue so i am working my way through different types of meringue recipes going right back to basics learning the technical difference between them all, and there are a few different types, meringue can be tricky trying to get chewy centers but still retain a crisp outside, failing to get a peak while whisking.

TOP TIP just a small amount a fat either in the bowl your using or a bit from a broken egg yolk can deflate your whites so they don't peak i either wipe my bowl out with a bit of white vinegar or vodka on a bit of kitchen towel as both of these liquids are great at removing grease.  I also break each egg away from the bowl and add them individually so i know i have no broken yolks.


Ingredients
4 egg whites
225g caster sugar  if you use golden sugar this will give your meringue more of a caramel and chewy texture

Pre heat the oven to 200c and place your sugar in oven proof dish and heat for 5 mins then remove and cool the oven down to 120c leaving the door open help cool,  heating the sugar helps it dissolve quicker into the egg whites (you dont have to do this but it does help)

While the sugar is heating up whisk the egg whites till you have soft peaks

When the sugar is ready add this a spoonful at a time to the egg white until all gone and the mixture is stiff

bake in the oven for 2 hours then turn the oven off keep the door shut and leave over night to cool and dry out.

To flavour

for swirls your meringue should you wish to scoop a few spoons out from the main mix mine were flavoured with strawberry i chopped up a few strawberries added a little water and 1 tsp sugar heated and then passed this through a sieve and added a bit of red colouring to punch the colour up and gently stirred this into the mixture to create swirls


Or you can add flavour directly to the meringue the above recipe i added 2 tsps of orange blossom water to the meringue and 100g of pistachios saving a third back to spinkle on top, be careful adding nuts to meringue as the oils in the nuts deflates the meringue so add at the end and fold in




Check out this pavlova recipe which has a more chewy meringue
 photo meringue tower.jpg  photo frogbutton.jpg




Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com Link up your recipe of the week  Fluster Buster

30 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I always struggle to make meringues

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore meringues which are chewy in the middle mmmmm !! yours look marvellous Helen , your hubby is a lucky man x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They look amazing! And your pictures are beautiful - can I be you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! they look amazing and your pictures are so beautiful! can I be you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow stunning merigues and photography. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to eat meringues. I say eat because my husband has to make them. He seems to have the knack. I'm about to place this under his nose and hint at the orange ones very unsubtly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how delicious do they look! i love meringues but have never made my own - love the photographs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my word, these made me crave meringues now, especially your gorgeous combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I do love meringue but haven't been brave enough to try making them yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look absolutely superb, Crisp and golden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meringues is one of my all time fave desserts and homemade are always best! These look super!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! These look so amazing, I am so hungry now x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh delicious - they look like they would be irresistible . x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heaven! My Grandma used to make meringues for us in the dozens as treat when we visited each Summer. I could eat and eat and eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never tried to make one. I can't believe you use vodka to clean your bowl! Or is that so there's an excuse to buy a bottle ;OP

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love meringues and this sounds very similar to a dessert I had at a restaurant recently

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks absolutely delicious. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yum! I've never tried to make meringues before! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmm these look lovely! I do always love your pictures too :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. They look amazing!! I absolutely love pistachio and would never think to put them in meringues, but yum, they look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooh these look heavenly. I've never tried to make meringue myself but might do now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a great recipe. I think I like meringue, although I'm not even sure I've ever had it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sound slike a great recipe. I think I like meringue, although I'm not even sure I've ever had it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stop! I love meringue but my husband can;t stand the texture so I never make them. I think I might have to have a dinner party and use that as an excuse to make these. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmmm...i love meringue. Never seem to get them right but they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks amazing I need to make this !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh those look delicious, I love meringue too.

    ReplyDelete