Easter gardening

I love our new life in the country the wildlife is totally fab check out this handsome chap who has taken to our garden and has been trying to persuade a lady to move in too, he is so brave he even comes up to the patio to look at us.

I really want a herb garden next to the kitchen and have the perfect spot outside the kitchen window on the drive.  There is a raised boarder with sleepers and i have already started planting my chives and thyme that we brought from the last house there, also there is some existing rosemary and sage in potion too.
 I spend a fortune on fresh herbs at the supermarket as i use loads of them in my everyday cooking salads and drinks.  the soil is really great here well drained in good sunlight and you can pretty much plonk what every you like into it and it will grow, so my aim is to save some money and grow a tun of flat parsley, coriander, dill, soft salads like rocket and spicy leaves to see us through the season and hopefully not have to buy anymore from the shops.


I have also been moving loads of lupins and foxgloves from the front garden to the back new flower bed to pad it out a bit as they grow like made in a 1 foot square patch i managed to get 24 of each as seedlings that had self seeding in the herb section so i have potted these up and am planning to sell them outside the front of the house as a little plant sale.
 Ella and Sophie were given there own garden tools for Christmas and Ell helps me with the hoeing and raking and her she is checking out the soil.
 We have a massive patch for veg but it is fast filling up and daddy spent the Easter hols creating a potato bed which is massive and has early and mid season spuds growing in it, Yum cant wait for that first new potato smoothed in butter.  He is already growing peas beans and soya beans as well as onions, garlic and pumpkins.
 Sophie has been given a patch to grow strawberries in and we made her a little house with pea netting so the birds don't eat them all.
 At the start of the year we bought one of those plastic greenhouses and got busy planting up loads of seeds for both veg and flowers to support the garden, a few weeks back we had that gale and the whole thing blew away ripped to shreds and the seeds scattered everywhere.  So we have had to start all over again we have had to turn the hallway of our house into a seeding nursery and all the windowsills are now heaving under the weight of plants grabbing sunshine, that reminds me i must turn my parsley.


 photo froghighlights.jpg


14 comments:

  1. Love your herb garden - I'm determined to make a little one in our new garden but meanwhile have some pots on my kitchen garden sill. We had to say goodbye when we moved earlier this month to our regular pheasant visitor Fred - it's amazing how they soon become almost tame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been thinking about a country life lately. this post made me want to move. congratulations. looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've saved so much miney by graowing my own herbs. It really is a joy to be able to nip into the garden and grab a bit of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very handsome pheasant, I had no idea they could be so brave as they normally scarper when they see us :) Your fresh herb patch is looking nice - that's one thing I can't live without.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah what a shame about the seeds in the little greenhouse! Like you we use loads of herbs and last year we grew rocket and lettuce for the first time and didn't have to buy any salad leaves all Summer long - it was fab, and we only had them in a small space. Talking of which that rocket has grown back even better and I've been using some this week!
    I'm so envious of all the lovely space you have there now Helen! Thank you for joining in again lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab! What a productive garden you have going on :) You should definitely be able to grow plenty of herbs, what a pretty border it is too with the sleepers. I would like to grow some strawbs with my boys, my youngest could eat them all day! #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that raised bed with the sleepers - very pretty - and lovely for herbs. I've bought those pots of herbs before from the supermarket and transplanted them, thinning them as I've gone as they do pack them in that little pot! #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it all and how busy you have been. Those plastic greenhouses are a pain, one of mine took off and blew into another street. An old fella brought it back, said he was sat in his front room and thought the TARDIS was landing :)

    I must sort out our herb garden too, best get sowing some basil seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The herb garden is looking amazing, love the purple trailing flowers too.
    Your garden is so impressive, as the year progresses, seeing all your hard work pay off will be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. its great to see the children joining in

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are being so productive, we are still in the clearing stages of our garden in the country. I have made a stab at a herb garden tho as I too spend a fortune on shop bought herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing space! I live lupins and the way they sway and dance in the wind. My herb patch near the house was almost the greatest successd when I designed this garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word Helen I have serious sleeper herb garden envy, looks amazing. It must be an absolute treat to see your own herbs growing. Sounds like you've been very busy planting and it's great to see everyone involved. You have some rather handsome visitors in the garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your herb garden. i want to start an herb garden as well. i already have several things to put in it, but don't know where i should start it. decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete