What to wear on the school run: My 5 key pieces

If, like me, the school run involves pressing snooze on the alarm clock one too many times then rushing around trying to do all of those things that should have been done the night before – ironing the school uniform, packing lunch, finding the PE kit – then what you wear to get the kids to school is probably last on your priority list.

But, not wanting to completely embarrass my fashion-conscious tween, I’ve decided there are five key pieces that can safely take me to the school gates in style. Here is my pick of this season’s trends which are perfect for the school run:

The sleeveless jacket
Victoria Beckham, Berardi and ChloĆ© were among the designers to showcase sleeveless jackets. While you’ll need a warmer cover-up in the depths of winter, for layering over knitwear as winter turns to spring, they’re stylish and insulating. This one by Rick Owens at Browns Fashion could be worn with the neck folded down to reveal the orange lining or up to keep your neck warm.

The cosy knit
Cable knits have been all over the autumn/winter catwalks, marrying up-to-the-minute styling with warmth. How many times does that happen in the fashion world? Isabel Marant created covetable pink cropped cable knit jumpers while Ralph Lauren is renowned for classic cable knit styles which transcend seasons. I love this ivory long-line cable knit cardigan by Soft Grey at La Redoute, with its curved asymmetric hem. I’m going to wear it layered over a roll neck, with knee-high boots and skinny jeans for winter, and with a printed dress and suede ankle boots when the weather warms up.

The riding boot
Equestrian styling comes round time and time again. And, a classic riding boot will never date so you can afford to spend a little more on a pair, safe in the knowledge that you’ll wear them every winter. I love the sleek look of Saint Laurent’s version, with their sleek shape and buckle detailing. They’d work with smart and casual outfits – whether I was working from my kitchen table that day or heading into the office. They are though, a little out of my price range, but there are plenty of similar versions available on the high street at the moment. I like these ones from Linzi as a budget alternative.

The over-sized scarf
I’m a huge scarf fan. Not only do they keep you warm, but they add instant style kudos to any outfit. You can throw a scarf on over pretty much anything and immediately look more put together. The neck cosie from Wear Alpaca has captured my imagination because it’s slightly unusual with its button detailing, it’s manufactured in Britain and it’s made from alpaca yarn. It’s sure to prove a talking point with the other mums.

The cross-body bag
As a mum, your bag has to double as a pharmacy, with plasters, medicine and baby wipes, a mini-market, with after-school snacks, and a bank, with that extra change you always need to pay for school trips and activities. So, you need a bag that’s roomy and that keeps your hands free. I love the classic styling of this Italian leather satchel bag by Roma Leather at fishpond. Although, I think my daughter might try to claim it as her own.
Celebrities like Claudia Schiffer, Gwyneth Paltrow and Elle MacPherson have got school-run style all sewn up, opting for a mix of casual pieces that have just the right amount of edge but aren’t too high-fashion. And, while I can’t promise these separates will make you look like a supermodel or an A-list actress, they will at least ensure you exude an air of casual cool.

Katie is the baking, travel and window-shopping addicted blogger behind delightso.me. You can follow Katie and her adventures on Twitter @delightsomeblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment