Our big flower bed

 So exciting having a new garden no one has touched for us to do as we please with, so we decided to carve up a part of the lawn to make a flower bed.
After stealing the kids purple sand which was perfect for outlining the wavy shape in the lawn, our buddy Nev helped us take all the turf off the lawn. I bought a 50 meter hose pipe to help drain water from the house water butts down to the meadow and our flower bed was the same length, what a huge flower bed, i can only imagine how long the weeding is going to take.


It was back breaking work rotavating the bed, raking and picking out stones and house bricks.  Not that you would know it from the picture, but this is the sunny side of the garden, prime location for all my peonies and irises which i was over the moon to release from their pots along with the fatsia and lavenders i got from Hitchin lavender farm.  I am really looking forward to spending time choosing plants i like to fill this big boarder.
As it was half term i had a helper on hand to give me help putting together a little plastic house that has shelving inside, which we plan to use to help bring on seeds in, i think she did a good job.





 photo froghighlights.jpg


9 comments:

  1. What a huge space! Choosing all the plants to fill it is going to be good fun :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you fill the space with...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the wavy flower border. We've just created a new border and it's like a wonderful blank canvas deciding what to fill it with! x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I can't wait to see the transformation from empty bed to one full of life. I can see why you're excited to have this untouched space

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a huge space! I definitely have a bit of garden envy going on, how exciting to have such a blank canvas too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fantastic having a blank canvas to work with. I look forward to watching how it changes x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's huge! Oh it looks good already, just imagine how fab it's going to look when it's established! I was looking at the Hitchin Lavender Farm photos last night and can't wait to go again this year - meet up again yes?

    Thanks for joining in again - and take it easy after that hard work! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! What a lovely big bed and lovely wavy lines too. Soo much nicer than the straight up and down I remember from my childhood. Keep posting updates please!! #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rather fabulous having a blank drawing board to fill up with flowers! Look forward to seeing them grow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay - a new flower bed - always so much to look forward to with a project like this. Waves from France ... now you know what I look like!

    ReplyDelete